Following a keto diet means maintaining a balance of very low carbohydrates with high level of fat. You need to significantly reduce the carbs you consume and replace those calories with healthy fat. When you limit your carb intake so extremely, your body goes into ketosis, a metabolic state that allows your body to be incredibly efficient at using fat as your energy source.
The 1200 calorie keto diet has a very specific target that should be using it. It was specifically designed for women who want to shed pounds very quickly. This diet is especially helpful to people who are just starting keto and need easy to follow plans, anyone who didn’t get the results they wanted from other diets, and anyone who has reached a plateau on their typical keto diet plan and needs to jump start further results.
The keto diet is already a great ay to lose weight steadily by maintaining a healthier lifestyle change. The 1200 calorie version of the plan can help accelerate that process. This version also restricts your calories, ensuring that you’re burning more than you’re taking in.
The keto diet seems to have a lot fewer restrictions than other diets, but the danger in this is that people forget that it is still important to watch your caloric intake. Eating too much will still stall your weight loss. To ensure rapid weight loss, you need to count your calories.
The 1200 calorie keto diet follows the typical keto guidelines of 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs in each day, but also adds the restriction of a maximum calorie intake.
The recipes we suggest in this plan are just examples of how to structure 1200 calorie meals. Hopefully, it will give you a few ideas about how to eat things and balance your calories throughout the day. Make sure that you talk with your doctor or dietician before deciding to follow this diet plan, because it isn’t the right plan for a lot of people.
This diet is also meant to be a short term plan that kick starts your keto diet or gets you over a plateau. This is not an appropriate amount of calories for most active adults over a long period of time. At the end of the day, you need to listen to your body and your doctor if you feel that this isn’t going right; especially if you begin to feel pain, dizziness, or shortness of breath.
There are a few key guidelines to follow when creating your weekly meal plan on a keto diet. These are general ideas that will help you stick to that 1200 calorie keto meal plan the whole week through.
1.First, you need to include a lot of healthy fats along with very few carbohydrates and a good amount of protein.
2. Next, plan out a full week of meals before you get started. This meal prepping will help keep you on track.
3. Stay focused on flavor. You want to still enjoy eating your meals. Otherwise, it will be harder to stick to your plan.
4. Keep snacks readily available. They can be homemade, or you can buy them at the store. Either way, you want to be able to stay on track even when you need to grab something quickly.
It is possible to stick to a 1200 calorie keto meal plan and still stay full and satisfied. In the process, you’re likely to lose weight and feel good overall. That being said, coming up with tasty food choices can be very difficult. Adding restrictions from both a keto perspective and a calorie perspective might have you confused and feeling lost.
Don’t worry. We’ve got you covered! Below, are ideas for a satisfying breakfast, lunch and dinner all while sticking to 1200 calories for the whole day. Remember to track your calories per meal when putting these ideas together, because some days you may have higher calorie breakfasts and low calorie dinners, and some days you may want to save your calories for a night out with friends! In fact – we’ve even included some places with keto-friendly menus that you can feel comfortable suggesting when your friends ask where to meet for lunch or dinner.
Here are some great breakfast ideas that all follow keto balance!
Bacon and Eggs
You can still have bacon and eggs, but this recipe puts a bit of a twist on the classic dish. With your eggs and bacon, you’ll also enjoy some tomatoes and basil to give your diet a bit more flavor. With enough flavor, you likely won’t get sick of this dish for some time to come and you can enjoy it every day of the week.
The ingredients included are for cooking for just one person. For more people, you’ll need to increase the quantities.
For ingredients, you’ll need:
i. 1 ¼ ounces of bacon
iii. Dried or fresh basil
iv. cherry tomatoes
v. Pepper and salt, to taste
1. Start by frying your bacon on a medium heat. You’ll want to fry it until it gets to the crispiness you look. Then, just set it aside on a plate. Leave the grease from the bacon right in the pan, though.
2. Put the temperature on medium again and crack both of your eggs directly into the pain. If you’d prefer, you can also crack them into a bowl or other container so that you don’t splatter any grease.
3. Put salt and pepper on your eggs, according to your taste preferences.
4. Cook the eggs as you like them. If you want them over-easy, be sure to flip the eggs after two or three minutes of cooking and then cook the other side for two to three minutes. If you want them sunny-side-up, keep the pan covered while they cook on one side, at least until the top is cooked.
5. Slice each of the cherry tomatoes in half. Add them to the pan and add pepper and salt, if you’d like.
6. Put the cooked eggs, along with the tomatoes on the plate with the bacon.
7. You can now add the basil as a garnish. You can also add any leafy green, if you prefer something else.
8. Enjoy your breakfast.
If you’re looking for great lunch recipes, these are pretty tasty!
Cobb & Egg Salad
This lunch is sure to keep you full the entire afternoon. It doesn’t feel like anything you’d find on a traditional diet. It is also incredibly easy to make and should take you just a few minutes to prepare. For this recipe, the ingredients will feed up to six people. You can also just make it at the beginning of the week and have it on hand for snacks.
For ingredients, you’ll need:
i. 4 tablespoons of Greek yogurt
ii. 1- 1 ½ tablespoons of mayonnaise
iii. ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
iv. 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
v. 8 hard-boiled eggs
vi.1 sliced avocado
vii. 8 bacon strips, already cooked and crumbled
viii. 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh chives
ix. ½ cup of crumbled blue cheese
x. ½ cup of halved cherry tomatoes
1. Start by mixing the yogurt, mayonnaise, and red wine vinegar together in small bowl. Add some salt and pepper to taste, if you’d like.
2. Get a large bowl and combine the bacon, blue cheese, avocado, eggs, and cherry tomatoes together. Then take those ingredients and combine it with the dressing you made in the first step. You want it to be just slightly coated. You’ll likely have a good amount of dressing left over, which is okay. You can use as much dressing as you’d like. Then just season with pepper and salt, to taste.
Sometimes, you get hungry! Don’t let it spoil your entire diet. Have these on hand instead.
It is preferable to have some good, healthy snacks on hand every day. This can help to prevent you from snacking on things that aren’t keto-diet friendly.
These chocolate covered cherries are a good option to make in advance. Then you can snack on them whenever you’d like something sweet. There are no animal products included so they are also a great option if you’re following a vegan diet also.
For ingredients, you’ll need:
i. ¼ cup of melted coconut butter
ii. ¼ cup of melted coconut oil
iii. 3 tablespoons of cacao powder
iv. 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
v. 5 drops of stevia
vi. ¾ cup of frozen dark sweet cherries, already thawed
1. Line a tray of mini cupcakes.
2. Put all ingredients together, without the cherries
3. Mash the cherries using a fork after they are all fully thawed. Then add the cherries to the batter.
4. Put one tablespoon of the batter into each of the cupcake liners.
5. Put the full tray into the freezer.
6. Have them either refrigerated or frozen.
The last meal of the day is still pretty important. Just remember not to eat too close to bed, or it will not burn as quickly.
Who says you can’t eat nice things when you’re on a low calorie keto diet? Tonight, you feast upon steak!!
For ingredients, you’ll need:
i. 4 oz. cut of rib eye steak
ii. 1 cup broccoli
iii. 1 tablespoon butter
Seasonings to taste within keto-approved items
1. Cook your steak to your liking. Whether you sear it, roast it, grill it or slow cook it, the important thing is that you are careful with your seasoning. Don’t go overboard with the salts and spices, but you are able to have some of this on the keto calorie diet.
2. Cook your broccoli to your liking. You can lay it out in a roasting pan and stick it in the oven with the butter drizzled on top, or you can steam it or sauté it.
3. Enjoy your dinner!
If you want to eat out with your friends, here are some items off different menus that are keto friendly.
Burrito bowls are awesome. Grab 4 oz. of steak, 2 tablespoons of guacamole, 2 tablespoons of cheese OR sour cream, and some lettuce. You can grab these are just about any Mexican restaurant that offers counter service, including Chipotle, Moe’s, Qdoba, and Café Rio. As long as you stay within these guidelines, you’ll end up spending around 495 calories, with only 36 grams of fat and 3 grams of carb but a whopping 29 grams of protein.
Restaurants like Panera have tons of great salads. If you make sure to be careful when inquiring about their dressing options, you can regularly get away with eating at these places without spending too many calories. Get the smaller size and adjust your ingredients accordingly, leaving off high calorie items in favor of high protein ones with less problems.
Although you definitely need to skip the breadsticks, Olive Garden has some great keto friendly options. Their herb grilled salmon is really tasty, and topped with garlic herb butter. It’s got a side of broccoli, and it’s only 460 calories with 43 grams of protein and only 8 grams of carbs. They also have parmesan crusted zucchini if you’re a vegetarian, and it’s only 90 calories.
This place has tons of great options for keto dieters. You need to be careful not to add too many of their sauces, because those calories add up quickly, but you will find good variety here.
Their chicken or steak fajitas have 440 or 640 calories respectively, and are packed with protein. You can skip the tortilla and carb heavy toppings to avoid some of those carbs and calories. Substitute the side of rice for a double order of vegetables instead and take half of it to go for lunch!
Their house BBQ ribs are also keto friendly. The half rack of ribs with no sauce is 720 calories, so this will be a splurge in a 1200 calorie diet, but they’re delicious, low in carbs, and high in fat and protein.
Here are some things you need to know before eating out on a calorie restricted keto diet:
1. Plan ahead. Know their menu and the substitutions you’ll need to make.
2. Go for meats and vegetables. These are great keto options.
3. Condiments are your enemy! These sneak in tons of carbs and calories, so find other ways to add flavor, like yellow mustard, butter, and ranch dressing used sparingly.
4. Substitute sides of starch for veggies.